This post may contain affiliate links. See here for full details
My absolute favorite place in my home is my bed! There’s nothing quite so comforting as snuggling into all the fluffy pillows and and blankets on a cold night, amiright?
And given that most of us spend roughly a third of our lives in bed, I’ll argue that the bed should be everyone’s favorite place at home! Yet, so many times I’ve seen (or slept in) beds that don’t look or feel inviting when you get into them.
If you’re looking to make your bed your favorite place in your home so you feel more rested and become more productive, then you’re in the right place! Here’s my favorite tips on how to make a bed so it becomes your favorite place at home:
1-) Start with a good mattress
Look…at the end of the day no luxurious looking bed will be your favorite place if it’s uncomfortable or worn. If you’re struggling with aches and pains or you feel tired all the time then don’t do anything else on this list until you take a trip to your local mattress store and invest in one that works for you!
2-) Don’t cheap out on the mattress protector
When my husband Ted and I bought our mattress I tried to save some money by buying a cheap plastic mattress protector. Oh was that a mistake! Ted already sleeps warm, and it got to the point where we were both sweating through the sheets every single night. Besides the fact that it was gross, it severely disrupted our sleep.
Eventually we got fed up and looked for a more breathable mattress protector. It was better, but it didn’t completely solve the problem. Desperate, we went to the mattress store and splurged on a mattress protector with cooling gel in it. It made a huge difference in the quality of our sleep and it has been much more durable in the wash!
So, lesson learned: invest in a good mattress protector from the start!
3-) Use sheets that match your needs
Y’all…it all comes down to the sheets! Good quality sheets make a huge difference in how you sleep, how your bed looks, and even your health (more on that in a moment)!
Of course, with the enormous variety of sheet options available it is often hard to know what sheets will match your needs! However, for most people good quality cotton sheets fit the bill well. So here are a few tips for choosing cotton sheets that look, feel, and function wonderfully:
- Don’t treat thread count as the only priority (the quality of the cotton itself and the weave are also important!)
- Do choose sheets that fit the mattress appropriately (sheets that aren’t deep enough will pop off and bunch up while you sleep. We’ve been there…not comfortable!)
- Don’t buy cotton sheets labeled as “wrinkle free” (cotton is NOT naturally wrinkle free! Most cotton sheets labeled as “wrinkle-free” have been treated with organic solvents that have negative health effects)
- Do choose sheets that will stand up to regular washing (sheets should be washed weekly. Choose sheets that can withstand weekly washing, especially if you have a top-load washer that is harsh on your laundry).
- Do choose organic cotton sheets if you can find ones you like (cotton is one of the most heavily pesticide treated crops in the world! Choosing organic cotton helps your health and the environment!)
- Do buy a set of backup sheets (once you find a set of sheets you like… you will be much more likely to stick to using washed sheets if you have a clean backup set ready at all times!)
4-) Layer up!
One of the most useful tips I’ve learned for a comfortable night’s rest every night is to layer up! Start with a good mattress pad, then sheets. After that most people slap on a flat comforter or duvet and call it a day. But that doesn’t offer much flexibility with variables such as seasonal changes.
A better option is to add a blanket in between the sheets and the main comforter. This way when the weather is warm you can simply use the sheets and the blanket and fold down the main comforter.
You can also add a throw and/or coverlet at the end of the bed for nights where the blanket feels too cold alone but adding your comforter feels too warm.
5-) Pick pillows practically
When it comes to pillows, people have very different opinions on what works best. Some people like one, others two; some people like soft and fluffy, others like firm and flat…
So, make your bed with pillows that make you feel comfortable. It’s not a big deal for you to have one and your better half to have two (or vice versa). Likewise, it’s not a big deal for you to use different pillows. You can always find a way to make the bed so your pillow situation fits your needs and looks nice!
6-) Jazz it up with throw pillows
Once you have the basic bed arrangement down, don’t forget to dress it up with some inviting throw pillows! Throw pillows that give your bed some character will not only give you motivation to make your bed in the morning…they will also make you want to jump into bed and snuggle in to your favorite place at night!
OK, that was a lot of information! Let me summarize how to make your bed (in order) for ultimate luxury and comfort:
- A breathable mattress protector
- Well-fitting, durable sheets
- A light-medium weight blanket
- Main comforter or duvet
- End-of-bed throw and/or coverlet
- Sleeping pillows
- Throw pillows
And that’s how to make a bed for ultimate comfort and luxury!
Want more tips? Check out Buffalo Check Home Decor Under $100 for Your Home and Inexpensive Tricks to Make Your Old Home Look New Again.